Sunday, April 15, 2012

90... and Then Some...


BULL RIDING:

Championship Bull Riding just nailed it in Las Vegas last night!  The CINCH Tour event rocked the South Point Equestrian Center as they rode 12 in the long round, which was capped by Trey Benton’s 90+ ride in the final section of competition.  Six successful rides in the short round, four of which exceeded 90 and truthfully Adrie Maier’s 89.5 could easily gone that way too…  It is impossible to sell an event any better than the last guy, winning coming into the short round, hammering out a 90+ point ride to secure the event title.  Trey Benton, you are the man.

I understand Doulas Duncan took home the honors of the 15/15 in Indy.  Good to see Douglas back and riding like he is capable.  If Douglas can stay healthy, he can beat anybody, any day, anywhere.  It will be interesting to see how his year unfolds.

Tag Elliott took home top honors in Pocatello at the Extreme.  He’s on the comeback trail from injuries and it’s good to see Tag putting it all back together as well.  I only wish good things for Tag.  He’s a great kid.


BULLS:

Last week I talked about 4L/Diamond S’s Palm Springs and the early going for Bucking Bull of the Year in the PRCA.

I have to add one to the list for consideration.  Beutler & Son’s 761 Drop Tine…  I saw this bull with Tony Mendes in the Sort Round at Rodeo Austin.  If there is a definition of a 24 point trip – this was it.  I recall Wes Silcox was near 90 on the bull at the 2011 NFR and probullstats shows he’s consistently marked 22 or better.  I am not sure if the bull will get the trips (with the right guys, in the right places) for consideration, but in my opinion he’s the real deal.  So in the early going, I am adding him to the conversation.  Nice bull.


RODEO:

Last week, I talked a little bit about the situation surrounding RODEO Houston’s move to an invitational event.

Here’s the thing, I LOVE Rodeo.  At times, it is going to seem as if I “have it out” for the current system or that I am always being overly critical of the PRCA.  Yet that is NOT the intention.  Like you heard from your coach when you were a kid – “I’m only hard on ya, because I care about ya”.  So in a nutshell, regardless of how it comes across, that’s the approach.

I am blessed to have a great seat in Las Vegas each year to all 10 rounds of the NFR.  This is the GREATEST showcase of the sport.  I am consumed by rodeo for 12-14 days surrounding this event.

Question #1:  Why can’t we just duplicate that with a tour of the very best?

Until someone really and truly can provide a legitimate answer to that question, it will continue to beg…


HORSES:

As I am writing this, I am en route to one of the coolest “horse functions” I have ever been to…  Each year Harry Vold Rodeo Company has their “Colt Cutting” at the ranch in Colorado.

It is quite the affair, as folks come from miles around to chip in and help.  The function is even scheduled/dictated entirely by the Almanac and the moon – not by the calendar – in an effort to make sure the horses remain as healthy as possible.

For two days it is ridin’, ropin’, brandin’, cuttin’ “Cowboy Shit” right here…  The “Real McCoy”… “Old School”… Call it what you want, it is badass!  I can't wait to get there!  Two pens – fillies in one, studs in the other.  Two teams of cowboys - they rope, drag, brand and cut the whole set.  I’ve got a delayed flight connection as we speak, so I am missing out on the action already!


COWBOYS:

What makes a professional baseball player or a professional golfer?  Not only does it take years of hard work, but also numerous tiers of developmental leagues, tours, qualifiers and the like.  Even still, with all professional sports, remains the opportunity for an athlete to “fast track” through the developmental and qualifying systems with a little talent and a little luck.

What makes a professional cowboy?  The financial capability to purchase a membership card to any of the numerous professional organizations and pay the entry fees for a contest.  I understand, that there are some qualifying limitations in our sport, but I think we could proactively enhance those measures to ensure the sport’s most elite athletes are showcased.  In doing so, I think we could then broaden our fan base and continue to grow our sport.


MUSIC:

Trending for me:
Three Dog Night – “Never Been to Spain”…  I think I’ve just had the iPod on “repeat” since downloading last Friday…  You talk about soul… them boys got some SOUL!

I am also going to give a shout out to Lee Brice.  Lee is an immensely talented Song Writer.  If you were not aware Lee was a writer on Eli Young Band’s “Crazy Girl” which earned Song of the Year recently.  Additionally, Lee is a phenomenal singer. A well rounded, true artist.  If you don't have all of his stuff from iTunes… GO get it. NOW.

Shut Up and Make it Happen
Scott Davis 

No comments:

Post a Comment