Monday, April 9, 2012

Bullshack Numero Uno

My name is Scott Davis.  My intention with this blog is to post what I believe are educated opinions centered around the lifestyle which has consumed me - the Western Lifestyle.  As you will find in my various profile information, my passions include the following; Bull Riding and Bulls, Rodeo and Horses, Cowboys and Music - including the ways each of the aforementioned "Engage" the "Western Lifestyles" demographic.

I believe that our "Western Sports" such as Bull Riding and Pro Rodeo need more opinionated coverage and I hope to utilize this forum to offer just that. I will elaborate on each topic with some consistency - probably on a weekly basis - and hope that all who read and share this blog will find, that when opinions are critical, the objective is to remain constructive.

Now. Are you ready for the Big Show?


BULL RIDING:

This month holds ownership in two historic events.  I am of the opinion that these events will largely go "under" the major sports coverage "radar".

Last Saturday night in Fort Worth, Texas at The Cowtown Coliseum, Bull Riding sensation Cody Teel took home the Championship of the 20th Anniversary Tuff Hedeman Championship Challenge.  Tuff Hedeman and Ron Pack began producing this event at the very same location in 1993.  Since then, it was voted "World's Best Bull Riding" nearly 10 times and has awarded well over $2,000,000.00 in cash to professional Bull Riders.  This event holds a place in the sport of stand-alone bull riding history.  If you have never attended the Tuff Hedeman Championship Challenge, make plans to do so in 2013.

The second historic event this month, will take place in Del Rio, Texas at the Val Verde County Fairgrounds on Saturday and Sunday April 28-29, 2012.  The 35th Annual George Paul Memorial Bull Riding is in my opinion the birthplace of stand-alone professional Bull Riding.  Attending this event is like going to Fenway Park, Wrigley or Lambeau Fields.  Historic.  Bobby Paul had a vision, and he along with a host of close friends and family, laid the foundation for the sport we know and love, as it exists today.

In comparison, there have only been 46 Superbowl games and only 78 Masters Golf Tournaments... Where will professional Bull Riding be in 35 more years?  Only time will tell. If you consider yourself a Bull Riding fan, these events should be on your "Bucket List". Period.  Visit www.cbrbull.com for the latest news and information on these great events.


BULLS:

Due to more available coverage at this early stage of the year, there are many of you who are very familiar with some of the best bulls in the game today in the PBR.  We all know about the top two or three on that tour, so I won't bore you with particulars there.  However, I do hope to shed some light on Bucking Bulls or aspects of the Bull Industry that you may not hear about quite as frequently.

For instance, there is little to no coverage surrounding the Bucking Bull of the year in Pro Rodeo.  Last year's Bull of the Year in Pro Rodeo was 4L/Diamond S Rodeo Company's "Palm Springs".

What many folks do not know is that they have NEVER ridden this bull in numerous outs at the PBR, but have been north of 90 points (as high as 94 points) on him several times in the PRCA.  In addition, Palm Springs is the kind of bull, in the side of the business that will likely get 20+ trips this year... Based on his trips thus far, he will be in strong contention for another Pro Rodeo Bucking Bull of the Year title in 2012.


RODEO:

Fact #1: RODEO HOUSTON has not been a PRCA sanctioned Rodeo since 2010

Fact #2: RODEO HOUSTON has not been affected whatsoever by transitioning to an "Invitational Event"

Fact #3: The same would hold true for almost every major rodeo (or at least the top 10 Pro Rodeos) in the country.

Fact #4: That (Fact #3) is an issue (at least for the PRCA)

Right now, Pro Rodeo is in a difficult situation.  While Rodeo is good generally - attendance is up, viewership is expanding, the sport faces a number of challenges.

More on this in the future.


HORSES:

I married into the Bucking Horse business.  So essentially, I have no choice but to LOVE IT.  However, I do have a "self made" new and growing interest in the Bucking Horse.

Now, you all will get to join this "part-time bull breeder" as I transition to include bucking horses in my repertoire...  Good Luck to those of you that will listen.

Lesson #1: Bucking Horses, generally, are COMPLETELY different than bucking bulls.

Lesson #2: Bucking Horses eat. A LOT.

I am fortunate enough to have weaned some 2010 colts and acquired my first interest in that set of horses - so I will let you know how it turned out... In 2014... Since we can't buck them until then... I like bulls better - we buck them at about 8-10 months of age!!!

A LOT more on this in the future!


COWBOYS:

I hope to bring some special insight to you all from inside the industry with this portion of the blog.  Maybe help you get to know some of the greats in the game... While also offering my personal opinion and insight regarding these guys.

First and foremost, as I mentioned earlier, I have a newfound appreciation for the bucking horse - that appreciation has peaked my interest in the Saddle Bronc Riding event. Therefore, I want to tell you about a couple of guys that ride Broncs and why I think they are important to the sport.

Cody Wright.  What a guy.  The world needs more Cody Wrights.  Humble. Graceful. Champion.  Reminds me of Billy Etbauer.  A guy that is so good at what he does - Humble enough to admit he could've ridden his last one better and Graceful enough to smile every time you see him. No matter what is happening in his world. #awesomeness (this, by the way, is my new personal code word for "the best ever")

At the same time, the world needs more Wade Sundells.  Wade Sundell was made to spur a bronc. Period.  In my opinion, one of the best in the game.  But Wade takes the sport to a whole new level.  Wade loves what he does and he let's every one around him know it.  That's something else rodeo needs - if you were just 90 points on Lunatic Fringe - show me what that means!  Show me the MONEY!  Show me that you know how special that moment was - and that we shared it together!  It's the closest thing Rodeo has to a "touchdown pass" or a "great dunk", a "home run"...  We are in the entertainment business.  Communication between the fan and the athlete is essential for the growth of our sport.


MUSIC:

I love music.  No matter the genre.  If it has "soul" I will listen - and there are artists of every genre with "soul".  This portion of the blog, I guess, I will use to enlighten you on what is "trending" in my world with music.

Roger Creager - "Turn it up" - This song embodies my life right now... Fortunately and Unfortunately! As he says in the chorus; "when it comes to what I love... I don't turn it down, I turn it up"!

Miranda Lambert - This girl has SOUL.  Period.  "Over You" is exceptional and the Pistol Annie stuff rocks.  She is a complete artist.

Radney Foster - I can't write my first blog and include anything that has to do with music, without giving props to one of the most underrated singer/songwriters in the world.  You want soul - get some Radney Foster... If you don't have "Folding Money" in your iTunes - put it on your "must download" list - immediately.

I also want to give a "shout out" to the great folks over at Billy Bob's Texas - they were voted Nightclub of the year.  Billy and Pam Minick are some of the greatest people on earth.  If you have never graced the doors at Billy Bob's... well then... add that to your "Bucket List" too...


Shut Up and Make It Happen. (this is also my new "sign off" - in hate of procrastination and excuses)
Scott Davis



2 comments:

  1. I loved reading your blog post! I'm learning how to be a stock contractor for bucking horses,so I cant wait to read more about your bucking horses! Thanks for letting us know what you think about the rodeo industry! Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete